Brisbane Open House (BOH) is on again for two days: Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 October.
This year there are over 90 buildings on offer so, if you think you have covered everything in previous years, there are sure to be a couple of new gems to experience.
Leading up to the weekend is a large number of talks and events including Pecha Kucha at Brisbane Powerhouse curated by the team at BOH on Wednesday 20 September from 8:20pm where you’ll hear from local artists, architects, planners and the Queensland winners of this year’s Dulux Study Tour Louisa Gee & Morgan Jenkins
MY TOP PICKS FOR 2017
Below is a list of my recommendations for the weekend. As there are quite a few new buildings this year, I have focused on these and other new ones on my ‘to-do’ list. Some buildings require tickets that are pre-booked and bookings are taken on a first come, first served basis. Tickets will be released this coming Wednesday 21 September at 9am… refresh, refresh, refresh!
* = pre-booked tickets
- ANNA MEARES VELODROME by Cox Architecture
- BARDON HOUSE* by Nielsen Jenkins Architects + Gavin Litfin
- UQ LAW SCHOOL by BVN + Hennessy Hennessy
- BRISBANE AIRPORT AIRSIDE!* by Bligh Voller
- 1 WILLIAM STREET by Woods Bagot
- KIRK STUDIO by Richard Kirk Architect
- MARC&CO CO-WORKING SPACE + TALKS by Marc&Co Architects
If you are new to BOH, you can’t go past the following favourites:
- CRAIGSTON apartments
- MASONIC TEMPLE on Ann Street
- SPRING HILL RESERVOIRS on Wickham Terrace
- ABC BRISBANE by Richard Kirk Architect
- ORAL HEALTH CENTRE by Cox Architecture + Hames Sharley
- TRI* by Donovan Hill + Wilsons Architects
- D HOUSE* by Timothy Hill
REGIONAL QLD OPEN HOUSE WEEKENDS
Don’t forget there are other regional centres in Queensland that are also celebrating their local buildings:
- MARYBOROUGH OPEN HOUSE: 23 & 24 September
- CAIRNS OPEN HOUSE: 11 – 15 October
- GOLD COAST OPEN HOUSE: 4 November
- TOOWOOMBA OPEN HOUSE: May 2018
- BUNDABERG OPEN HOUSE: Sept 2018
What building will you be visiting at this year’s Brisbane Open House? Or what building do you wish to see that didn’t make this year’s event?